- 2 cups loosely packed grated or shredded carrots
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅔ cup sugar ( i use a mix of regular and brown sugar. Add 2 tbsp more for sweeter)
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- ½ of a small apple or ¼ cup chopped apple or use ¼ cup apple sauce
- ⅓ to ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ inch fresh ginger (optional)
- ½ cup water or non dairy milk (or use orange juice)
- 2 cups flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup unbleached white)
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp or more cardamom
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup currants or raisins
Cashew Vanilla Frosting:
- ½ cup cashews soaked for 1 hour or overnight
- 3 to 4 tbsp water
- ⅛ to ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp or more lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tsp coconut flour
- Prepare your pan for baking by lining with parchment or greasing and dusting with flour. Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F.
- Grate or shred the carrots and transfer to a bowl. Add the maple, sugar, oil, lemon, vanilla and mix well. Let sit for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile Blend the flax, apples, chopped carrots, ginger with water until pureed. Add to the carrot bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk the dry ingredients until well combined. Transfer to the wet and mix until there are no dry flour streaks. Fold in the nuts and currants. The mixture should be a stiff-ish batter. If the batter is too wet/moist (depends on the carrots), add 1 to 2 tbsp more flour and mix in.
- Drop the thick batter into prepared loaf pan. Even it out on the top.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until the toothpick from the center comes out almost clean.
- Cool for atleast 20 minutes before slicing.
- Frosting: Blend the soaked cashews with water, salt, lemon, sugar and vanilla. Blend until smooth. (I use a nutri bullet small blender).Taste and adjust lemon, sweet and salt and blend. Add a ¼ tsp white vinegar for stronger sour flavor. Add some cinnamon for a cinnamony frosting. If the mixture is runny, add 1 tsp coconut flour and blend it. Add more coconut flour if needed to get the desired consistency. Spread the frosting over the cake.
This is a moist carrot cake bread. For less moist and more airy bread, use 1.5 cups of grated carrots and omit the apple.