- 12 EGGWHITES, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 TEASPOON CREAM OF TARTAR
- 1¼ CUPS (275G) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 CUP (150G) PLAIN (ALL-PURPOSE) FLOUR
- ICING (CONFECTIONER’S) SUGAR, FOR DUSTING
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the eggwhites and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add ¾ cup (165g) of the sugar and the vanilla and whisk until thick and glossy. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Sift the flour and remaining sugar in a separate bowl. Sift a second time over the eggwhite mixture and gently fold through.
- Spoon into an ungreased 2.5-litre-capacity bundt tin and smooth the top with a palette knife. Cook for 35 minutes or until the cake comes away from the sides of the tin.
- Invert the tin onto a wire rack and set aside to cool for 1 hour. Using a butter knife, loosen the edge of the cake from the tin and remove. Dust with icing sugar to serve. Serves 10.