- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor or 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia, optional
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups berries or 12 Italian prune plums, halved
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8″ or 9″ square pan, or 9″ or 10″ round pan.
- Beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
- Add the eggs, beating until thoroughly combined. The mixture may look somewhat coagulated; that’s OK. Stir in the vanilla and optional flavor.
- Add the flour, mixing to make a smooth, stiff batter.
- Spread the batter in the pan. In the larger-sized pans, the batter will be spread fairly thin; that’s OK.
- Spread the berries or plums on top. If you use plums, place them with their skins up. Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake the cake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, and the cake showing around the berries is a light golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and serve warm, or at room temperature. Enjoy!