- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) melted butter
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 3 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 cup diced pecans or walnuts, toasted if desired
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (preferred) or sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup diced dried pineapple*
- *Substitute one 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained and squeezed dry, if preferred
- 3/8 cup (6 tablespoons) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk, or enough to make frosting spreadable
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Combine the eggs, sugars, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Mix the melted butter with the oil. With the beater running, add the oil mixture in a stream, beating until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, leaveners, salt, and spices. Add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring to make a smooth batter.
- Stir in the carrots, nuts, coconut, and pineapple.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, spreading it to the edges.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the cake is golden brown, and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and cool in the pan.
- To make the frosting: combine the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt in a medium-sized bowl, and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar gradually, beating well.
- Add the milk a little at a time, until the frosting is a spreadable consistency.
- Spread frosting over the cake. Garnish with minced crystallized ginger, if desired. Enjoy!