- 1 partially baked pie crust
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ pound sliced deli ham
- 6 ounces Swiss cheese (either sliced deli or block cheese, shredded)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups light cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped chives
- Prepare a partially-baked pie crust in a deep dish pie plate. Allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Dice the onion and sauté in a pan with the butter until the onions are soft and translucent. Cool slightly.
- Stack the ham slices and cut into ½-inch pieces. If using sliced deli Swiss cheese, stack and cut into ½-inch pieces OR if using block Swiss cheese, shred using the large holes of a box grater
- Sprinkle the ham pieces and the onion evenly into the bottom of the partially-baked pie crust. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the ham and onions.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs. Add cream, salt, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper and whisk to fully combine the custard mixture. Add the chopped chives and stir once more to combine. Pour or ladle the custard into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower the oven heat to 350 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes more, or until a knife inserted into the center of the quiche comes out clean.
- Let cool until the quiche sets up a bit (about 30 minutes) and serve in wedges.