- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 10 ounces soft caramels, unwrapped (about 40 pieces)
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with foil and coat liberally with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and both sugars on medium speed for 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, salt and baking soda and continue mixing until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the speed to low and add the flour until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Press half the dough into the prepared pan.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the condensed milk and caramels and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the caramels are melted.
- Pour the caramel mixture on top of the dough in the pan and drop the remaining dough evenly in teaspoon-size amounts on top of the caramel.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the center is just set.
- Sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars.