- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion (about 1 large onion)
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (about 4-5 carrots)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 40 ounces chicken stock*
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1 1/2-2 pounds roasted chicken, shredded
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup milk, plus additional tablespoons as needed
- 5 ounces (weight) frozen peas (about 1 cup)
- Heat butter in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and thyme. Cover and cook about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Onion should be softened.
- Sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Stir in chicken stock, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally.
Add shredded chicken, reduce heat to low simmer. Cover and cook for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, dill, garlic powder, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup milk to form batter. Batter should hold together and be easy to drop by spoonfuls. If too thick add more milk a tablespoon at a time. If too thin, sprinkle in a bit more flour at a time until thick. Set aside.
- Stir peas into stew. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls on top of stew, spaced apart. Cover, and continue to simmer until dumplings are firm, 15-20 minutes.