- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 one large onion, chopped
- 5 stalks celery
- 2 large red bell peppers, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounce) lite or regular unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Thai style sweet chili sauce
- 1-1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven (7-quart) over medium heat. Saute onion, celery and red peppers until softened; about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds more.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, sweet chili sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Puree in a blender (two batches) until smooth. Pour soup back into Dutch oven and add cream, stirring until incorporated. Taste and season to your liking.
- Serve with crunchy garlic bread sticks for dipping.