- Prep Time: 8 hours 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 9 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Vindaloo spice (or use equal amounts of cumin, turmeric and Garam Masala)
- 3 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced (see Step 1 below)
- 1 cup raw cashews, toasted and chopped coarse (see Step 2 below)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 stick butter (quarter cup)
- 1 pound yellow onions diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno, seeds and stem removed (about one pepper)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup cilantro chopped plus more for garnish
- Basmati rice, to serve with chicken
Night Before Serving
- In a medium bowl, mix yogurt, lemon juice and Vindaloo spices. Start by placing a few pieces of chicken in a gallon zip bag and as you fill the bag, alternate marinade and chicken to make sure each piece gets coated. Seal the bag and squeeze the contents around to make sure all pieces are covered. Refrigerate overnight.
Day of Serving
- To prepare the tomatoes, place a strainer over a bowl. Cut tomatoes in half the long way and squeeze them over the strainer, fishing out seeds with your fingers. Discard seeds then dice tomatoes and add to the bowl with the juice.
- To prepare the nuts, cook over medium heat in a dry fry pan until golden then chop or place in a 425 degree F oven for five minutes, shaking halfway through then chop.
- About an hour before serving, melt the butter with the oil in a very large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Throughout the cooking, you will never raise the heat higher than medium.
- Add the onions and cook for five minutes, or just until they start to brown.
- Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno, salt and cinnamon. Cook for five minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for five minutes.
- Add chicken pieces along with all of the marinade, nestling the pieces into the mixture.
- If you are serving over rice, start cooking that now.
- Mix the tomato paste in the stock and pour over the chicken and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, turning the chicken over a few times during cooking.
- Add cream and simmer ten more minutes, being careful to not let the mixture boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- To serve, place rice on a serving dish, top with pieces of chicken and sauce and finish with chopped cilantro and chopped toasted cashews.