- Oil, for frying
- 1kg kumara (purple, or a mixture of orange and purple)
- 250g bacon, chopped (free-range is best)
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ a red onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ¾ cup cooked peas, cooled
- ¼ cup good-quality mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream (or use extra mayo)
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley, plus extra to serve
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Peel the kumara and chop into 4cm pieces. Add to a large pot of salted water, bring to a simmer and cook until tender – about 10-15 minutes. Drain and allow to cool to warm.
- While the kumara is cooking, add some oil and the bacon to a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry for about 15 minutes until crispy. Drain on paper towels and discard the extra oil.
- Add the warm kumara to a large bowl with the bacon, walnuts, red onion, mayonnaise, sour cream (or extra mayo), parsley, Parmesan, peas, peppers and salt. Squeeze in the lemon juice and toss gently to combine. Serve garnished with extra parsley, or refrigerate until needed. It’s nice warm or chilled and will last a couple of days in the fridge. Enjoy!