- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 crostini
- 1½ pounds rib eye steaks or strip steaks
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce (available in Asian section of any supermarket)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 4 ounces shallots sliced into quarter thick slices
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- inch French baguette (cut on the bias into 12 half slices)
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- Approximately 1½ to 2 hours before serving, trim beef of all fat and gristle, leaving about one pound of meat. Slice on the bias into slices about three to four inches long and about an inch and a half wide. Place in a gallon zip lock bag.
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients and add to the bag. Squeeze and move around so all pieces get covered. Seal and refrigerate ninety minutes to two hours, longer if you are using a cheaper cut of meat.
- While beef is marinating, make spread by whipping all ingredients and refrigerating until later.
- Heat a ribbed grill pan over medium high heat.
- Lightly butter both sides of each piece of bread and grill to form grill marks. Wipe the grill pan and remove from heat.
- Heat a medium sauce pan with the two cups of oil to 275 degrees F, no higher. Use a candy thermometer to gauge. Drop the shallots in and cook for about eight minutes or until lightly golden brown. Move them to a plate to hold. Reheat the same oil to 350 degrees F. Place a strainer over a metal bowl and have this standing by. Also cover a plate with paper towels. Once the oil is at 350 degrees, drop the shallots back in for only a few seconds to crisp then pour the whole pan, oil and shallots, into the metal bowl with the strainer. Lift the strainer out and shake out shallots onto the paper towels. Set these aside.
- Remove the meat from the bag and discard the marinade. Lay out the pieces of beef and pat dry on both sides.
- Heat the grill pan to medium high to high and brush some of the oil from the shallot bowl of oil onto the grill grates and fry one third of the beef, laying each piece down then after a minute, flipping with tongs. They will cook quickly. Once cooked, move to a plate or platter. Wipe pan between batches and cook the remaining two batches.
- To assemble, divide the spread between the twelve slices of grilled bread, top with the beef then again with the crispy shallots.