- 6 small sweet potatoes (about 2 ¼ pounds)
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup refried black beans
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Adjust oven rack to center of oven.
- Place whole sweet potatoes on a sheet pan covered in foil or parchment, poke each a few times with a fork. Bake until fork tender, 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Switch oven from bake to broil.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine black beans with taco seasoning.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and carefully scoop out flesh with a metal spoon, leaving about ¼-inch of flesh intact.* Place potatoes, skin side up back on the sheet pan, spray with olive oil, top with pinch salt and pepper, and broil for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove skins from oven, turn over and fill each with black beans, 1 tbsp salsa and 1 tbsp cheese then return to oven to broil 2 minutes more.
- Top with each skin with scallions and cilantro and eat right away.
*Scooped sweet potato can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days. I like to mix it with just a smidge of butter, low-fat milk, salt and pepper and serve it alongside chicken breast.