- 1 cup white whole wheat flour, or use whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup unbleached white flour or all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar or other vegan sugar (use a few tbsp more for sweeter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 2.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter or almond butter or other creamy nut or seed butter
- vegan mini chocolate chips or chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In one bowl, whisk in all the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, mix the non dairy milk, sugar, vanilla, oil and flax and mix until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add dry to wet and mix until just about combined.
- Transfer half of the batter into the other bowl.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder to one bowl and mix until just combined. Add 2 tbsp chocolate chips (optional) and fold in
- Soften the nut butter on stove top or microwave, then add to the other bowl. Mix to combine.
- Grease or line a medium loaf pan (8.5 by 4.5 inch) with parchment. Add half the chocolate batter and spread with a spatula to cover the base. Then add the peanut butter layer and lightly spread with the spatula. Then chocolate then peanut butter.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips or walnuts on top if you like.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick form the center comes out clean.
- Cool, slice, share.